HOW TO PREPARE CONCRETE FOR PAINTING
2 Steps for preparing new or old concrete for paint projects!
Our customers find that this is a great time of year to prepare and paint their concrete surfaces. Firstly, because the weather is at it’s mildest, and we can count on having some sunshine around for a little longer. And secondly, the new year rush and chaos is over so it’s time to tick things off the to-do list!
AJP’s Paint Pro Gary has been working with industrial paint for almost 15 years, and is the Head of our Paint Department. He’s given us some tips to share to make this process easy and get you going ASAP.
DAY 1 - CLEANING YOUR CONCRETE
Preparing New Concrete
When concrete is new, wait 6 weeks before you clean the area as the first step in preparation. We would recommend a light concentrate ratio of hydrochloric acid when ready to wash the concrete.
Preparing Old Concrete
If your concrete is old or older, for cleaning we recommend a higher ratio concentrate of hydrochloric acid (especially if you have stains that you want to get rid of) using a hard bristle broom.
New concrete - grey, smooth, without stains. Old concrete - discoloured, stained, scratched.
WASHING AND SAFETY TIPS...
- Using a watering can offers great ratio quantity.
- Once you have covered the area with acid, wash off immediately.
- For your personal protective equipment (PPE), make sure you read the back of the packaging of any products for directions on use and appropriate PPE. (If you need help just give us a call!)
DAY 2 - PREPARING YOUR CONCRETE FOR PAINTING
- Ensure the concrete you want to paint is completely dry.
- Grab your Jotun Jotamastic 90 - this is a 2 pack, which means it has a Part A and Part B. Part A is the colour and Part B is the hardener. This is available as a 4L kit or 20L kit and is mixed in a 3.5:1 ratio (3.5 parts paint to 1 part hardener).
Click here for Jotun Jotamastic 90.
We highly recommend mixing about 4 litres at a time, otherwise the paint will harden. If you can get a second person on the job it’ll be easier as you can have the helper mixing the paint while you complete the application.
- Mix your Part A and Part B, and wait for 10 minutes before rolling on and applying the Jotamastic.
DAY 3 + 4 - PAINTING YOUR CONCRETE
Applying each coat of paint
1st Coat - you will need to thin this down 10% using Jotun #17 thinner.
2nd Coat - wait one day to paint this coat, no thinners are needed, just apply it straight down.
We use a simple calculation for how much paint you need for the area to be prepared. 8sqm = 1 litre.
When applying two coats of paint after the concrete has been prepared, we use this equation Length x width ÷ 8 x 2
>>>>> Lastly, if you are thinking of adding “non skid” to your area - sprinkle on. <<<<<
And REMEMBER - no driving on the area for about one week!
If you have any questions or would like to know more, get in contact!
Gary or one of our friendly team can help you out so call the office on (07) 4998 5299 today.
AJP Industrial Supplies can cover all of your paint needs from automotive through industrial, as well as accessories, thinners, primers and cleaning agents! Check out the range here.